Monday, November 21, 2011

Gratitude - 19, 20, 21

#19 - This may be more of a rant, and I'm kind of bugged right now, but I think I'll be able to turn it into something positive by the end.

Okay, this morning as I was driving into work I forgot my dang parking pass {again} so I ran into the parking office to grab a temporary. I asked the women helping me how her weekend was and she said it was great, but was really looking forward to the 3 day work week, followed by Thanksgiving. I agreed and then mentioned how it was nice that Christmas and New Years fell on the weekend, so we had those extra Fridays and Mondays off. Because that's nice, right? Then, the lady looked at me and said "shh, don't say that word." I was kind of confused and replied with an "excuse me?" She silently mouthed the word "Christmas" and then walked away.

First off, let me say that I don't get "offended" easily and I really do try to keep things pretty PC here in the workplace BUT I did not call our WINTER break Christmas Break. I just simply said it's nice that December 24th & 25th fell on the weekend, yes those days do happen to be a Christian Holiday called Christmas. And yes, those just happen to be the days that the University employees get off during our non-religious WINTER break. I don't know why the University is so worried about being PC when the days they give us off are directly affected by CHRISTMAS, not Kwanza or Hanukkah. Why does the word Christmas bother people so much? I bet most of them celebrate it.  If someone said Happy Hanukkah to me I would assume they were being friendly, not trying to push their religious beliefs in my face, show disrespect, or belittle my beliefs.

Also notice that this women openly talked about Thanksgiving, which started when the Pilgrims gave thanks to GOD for their blessings. When Thanksgiving was first made a federal holiday, it was proclaimed as a day to give thanks to GOD. Okay, so I think I've figured out a way to spin this positively. I am thankful that I was raised in this gospel, that I am comfortable with my beliefs and understand the importance of keeping Heavenly Father as part of our lives. I know that I will teach my children to be sensitive to the beliefs of others, but to always stand up for theirs.

Okay, if you made it thru that here is #20 & 21

#20 - I'm thankful for the family that I married into. This weekend we had a big Thanksgiving dinner with J's Mom's side of the family. It was so nice to see everyone and catch-up. I'm especially thankful for Lisa. She works so hard at planning family activities to keep us all together, and she does a great job.



#21 - I'm thankful for turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and gravy. They are my most favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner. I don't mind having 2 every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment