Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Ellie's First Day of Preschool!

I cannot believe we're already here! This is totally going to be the run of the mill sappy mom post, plus, pregnancy hormones, plus insomnia. Ridiculous.

I remember thinking how far away preschool is, but it's here! It does fly! Why does no one tell you that it really really really does fly?! You're right, they totally do. Granted, this is only her first year, but we're officially on a school schedule and as long as the boys stay on the same schedule, we are tied into a half day schedule for the next 6 years, AT LEAST!


But you know what? She's so ready. She loves learning. She's so social. Mom and Fitz just aren't cutting it anymore, and that's ok. It just doesn't make it any easier. I haven't done any crying, but that whole morning I had a lump in my throat and a knot in my stomach as we were getting her ready. I made sure to get up before her so I could get ready and focus all of my attention on her. I was in the bathroom and I heard her feet hit the floor, a gasp, and then a squeal of PRESCHOOL! She ran right into the bathroom, had her blue dress in hand, and asked for Elsa hair and pink lip gloss. I happily obliged, and loved listening to her chatter about her hopes and expectations.


I do need to rewind for a moment, the night before school, her dad gave her the sweetest father's blessing. He blessed her to be kind and brave. To find good kind friends, to have an enthusiasm for learning and a desire to make good choices. He also blessed her that it wouldn't hurt when mom put in her new earrings because apparently that was the biggest deal of them all. It was perfect and gave her the exact confidence boost that she needed.


Ellie loved having her picture taken with the sign and loved it even more that her backpack was involved. She's been waiting months to use it. And yes, she really does want to be a mermaid when she grows up...as long as Fitz will come with her. After snapping a few pictures, we dragged Fitz out of bed (he's such a good sleeper now!!!) and took her up to the school. She was almost shaking with excitement. We found a hook for her backpack, she took my hand, led me into the classroom, gave me a kiss, and found her friends. She didn't even look back. It's exactly what I had hoped for her. Fitz was actually the only one who did any crying that day. He was yelling for his sissy and for the trucks and none of it was fair at all. He actually kept trying to get back into the car for the whole 2.5 hours she was gone. He would point out the window, say "car" and "sissy". Darn it.


I have to remember her "about me" bag. They sent her home with a white paper bag that she was to decorate and fill with 4 things that describe her. I (mostly) let her take the reigns on this one and we were both very content with what she chose. She put in a ballet shoes because she loves to dance, an avocado, because they're her favorite. She chose her swimsuit because she loves swimming. The best part, and I swear she picked this all on her own, was the family picture that she wanted to include, because she loves being with her family the best. Oh, I hope she always feels that way. I hope we're her happy place.


I held my breath as I walked back in to pick her up. She immediately ran out with the biggest grin and hug. She could only tell me about recess (which she calls sesame for some reason?) and what she ate for snacks. But you know what? That's good enough for me. She loves it and I love that she loves it. I'm sure her spongy little brain is soaking up all the necessary preschool things.


So while I don't think I'm completely ready to let go of her hand, she's ready to let go of mine, and I'm so so happy for her. She's going to have so many amazing experiences and I can only pray that I can create the safest haven at home for her, where I'll be ready and waiting to listen and help.

I'll always be here for you baby girl. I love you so so much.

1 comment: