Tuesday, January 29, 2013

SOUP-LA


We had some soup for dinner last night and the ONLY reason that I'm even taking the time to post this is because 1) It's delicious and I basically licked my bowl clean and 2) I NEVER cook dinner and when I say NEVER I really do mean it. I don't even remember the last time dinner was made when company was not expected. Sad I know. One day I have dreams of menu plans and healthy meals and well, just actually having time for that. One day I say. Now on to the soup!

I found this lovely recipe from one of my favorite food blogs, Dinner: A Love Story. I don't know if you've noticed, but it's been a little snowy and cold over in these parts and I deem it perfect soup weather. Also, it's a Greek chicken soup. Do you know how much I love Greek food? Well, yesterday I found out that Greek Souvlaki does online ordering and did a tiny happy dance whilst at my desk. I love it that much. And now, the recipe (taken right from Dinner: A Love Story -- all credit given to her, except for my tweaks throughout):

Avgolemono
4 cups chicken broth -- I did 6 because I wanted leftovers
1/4 cup uncooked orzo --  I added about 1 cup, I should have doubled it. I love me some orzo!
salt and pepper3 eggs -- 4 eggs, maybe even 5 if you add more broth
3 tablespoons lemon juice                                                                                                                                                                              shredded rotisserie chicken (optional) -- DO NOT BY ANY MEANS LEAVE THIS OUT.                                                                             We also added a sprinkling of feta cheese on top because it's not Greek food without a hearty serving of feta.

In a large saucepan, bring the broth to a boil.
Add the orzo and cook until tender but still al dente, about 7 minutes. Season with the salt and pepper and reduce heat to low; let simmer.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and lemon juice until smooth. Ladle about 1 cup of the hot broth into the egg-and-lemon mixture, whisking to combine.
Add the mixture back to the simmering saucepan. Stir just until the soup becomes opaque and thickens as the eggs cook, 1 to 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper (to taste) and chicken if you have it, and serve.
/via/
So there you have it. It really takes about 10 minutos to get on the table. J.rue's only complaint is that it was a little too "soupy".  So if your dinner mate likes thicker soup either add more orzo or make sure to add a stack of bread (or pitas) to the table to they can soak up all of that soupy goodness. Even though it was deemed "soupy" it was still initiated into the official Ruesch Dinner Rotation, which now includes 2 items. 
Again, one day I say!


No comments:

Post a Comment