Monday, June 28, 2010

Hummus Habromania

I have finally perfected my hummus recipe. I've been working on it since January when I went to this fabulous restaurant:
I was down in Arizona for a work conference and we just happened to wander into this joint. It literally was love at first bite. We loved it so much we went their twice in three days. So, if you are ever in Arizona, go. Now, back to my point, they had the most amazing jalapeno-cilantro hummus! I loved it so much that I looked up the recipe the moment I got home and have been perfecting the recipe ever since. So without further ado, my to-die-for hummus recipe:
{this isn't the hummus, yours will be better blended and greener, YUM!}


1. One 16 oz. can of garbanzo beans, you can also use chickpeas...maybe they are even the same thing?

2. 4 TBS. of liquid from beans.

3. 4 TBS of lemon juice. If by chance your hummus ends up being spicier than you prefer, just add a little bit of lemon juice. It cancels some of the intensity out.

4. 2 cloves of garlic. I love garlic so, depending on my mood, I sometimes add an extra tiny one.
 Just a random fact: I recently purchased my first garlic press, love it, can't believe I lived without it!
5. 1/4 cup of EVOO, if ya don't know what that is ask Rachael Ray

6. 1.5 TBS of Tahini---note: I have never made hummus with this before because I didn't quite know what is was. I decided today to venture to the grocery store to find it. After looking by myself for 15 minutes and then asking 4 different people (and someone thought I said Tahiti and told me it's next to Australia) I finally called Melinda and she told me exactly what is was:


So, for those of you who are just as food savvy as I am (not at all) it is kind of like sesame seed butter and it is with the oriental food...except for Smith's, they don't have it, and apparently they thought I was asking if they carried "Tahiti" in their store.

7. One jalapeno pepper. Cut it up and remove about 90% percent of the seeds, that puts it at a medium spiciness. I would just advise to start small and add as ya need it, and remember the lemon juice helps cancel some of the spiciness.

8. About 1/4 of a bunch of cilantro. I just use the leaves and take off the stems, they're kind of a pain. I'm not the biggest fan of plain cilantro, so if you really like it, you might want to add more
9. OPTIONAL: sometimes I add one roma tomato to the mix, just to change it up.

So, blend it all up in the food processor in the order that I gave you and enjoy! 

Some of my favorite things to put hummus on includes, but is not limited to: chicken, pita chips, bell peppers, tostitos, salad, fish, steak, rice, tacos, you get the idea I LOVE IT!

Even if your not super into hummus, try this. I could change your life forever! Tell me what ya think, it you make it!

1 comment:

  1. GOLD STAR! i can't believe you found it! way to stick to your guns! ha ha- i will for sure try this!

    ReplyDelete